Carine Thorkelson, Business Continuity Manager, Entrust Datacard
BIO - Carine Thorkelson has been a member of the local Ottawa DRIE chapter for almost 10 years. As the current Business Continuity Manager/Coordinator at Entrust Datacard, she is responsible for Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery at this mid-sized global company. Holding a Masters degree in Disaster and Emergency Management she continues to try and expand her knowledge base to better serve those she is planning for.
Presentation Title - Active Attacker Training
Synopsis - The term “Active Attacker” is used instead of “Active Shooter” as active shooter does not cover the range of weapons that could be used to inflict harm on others. Preparing your colleagues for an active attacker incident involves more than just individual knowledge. This presentation will cover both individual and organizational response options, including an overview of a plausible tabletop exercise for senior management.
Key Points that an Attendee will take away from Carine's presentation:
- The critical elements of Run-Hide-Fight in response to an active attack
- An example of an active attacker tabletop exercise for senior leaders
- Suggestions on how to work with local emergency services in response to such an attack
- What you can do in this type of scenario to mitigate risk or injury to yourself and your colleagues
- Current statistics on these types of incidents